Sunday, July 02, 2006

Yesterday England went out of the world cup. After a nail biting penalty shoot out (which I admit I watched peeping from behind a cushion) they lost out to Portugal.

The papers are full of it - the brave fight our boys put up. Steven Gerrard was quoted as describing himself and his team mates as having been "heroic out there, we threw bodies in the way of shots."

Ironically yesterday was also the 90th anniversary of the first day of the Battle of the Somme where 20,000 men were killed (in one day!!)

There has been some very interesting and thought provoking coverage of the Somme on TV - but sometimes when I hear the langauge which is in common use around things like games of football and other sporting events I do wonder if we are losing our sense of focus.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm impressed with your site, very nice graphics!
»