Wednesday, October 18, 2006

I was on the London Underground this morning - the tube just came to my stop and as I got out I heard the alarm go off in the next carriage. I could see a very large rucksack on the seat with no owner.

All the people on that carriage piled off - at some speed.

What I found amazing was how the different people reacted next. Some just went into another carriage - as if to say - if it blows I'll be ok here and I don't want anything to disrupt my journey. The rest of the group stood on the platform pointing - probably the same distance to the suspect rucksack as they had been when they were on the train.

Me - I moved as fast as you can without breaking into an all out dash.....

3 comments:

Sue said...

ummm... not very fast then, lol.

Seriously, people never cease to amaze me... how did they think that just by moving a few feet they would be safe!

I guess you don't know what happened next? Whose bag it was?

Mof2 said...

I'll pass over the speed comment.
No idea what happended next - but by the time I got to ground level - a matter of seconds of course - the station controller was on the radio etc etc. On my return journey everything was back to normal.
On reflection I expect it is pretty much an every day occurence and regular commuters are used to it - just a novice like me who is more alarmed. Whether that is right or wrong I don't know.

Anonymous said...

continue to be concerned please.